Curator of Education + Collections
Lewis Glucksman Gallery
The Lewis Glucksman Gallery is a cultural and educational institution that promotes the research, creation
and exploration of the visual arts. Located at University College Cork, the Glucksman is a landmark
building that includes display spaces, lecture facilities, a riverside restaurant and gallery shop. The
Glucksman was named 2005 Best Public Building in Ireland by the RIAI. The building is a RIBA award
winner and was short-listed for the Stirling Prize in 2005.
As an internationally significant art space, the Glucksman links the educational mission of the University to
the cultural life of the region. The Glucksman's artistic policy is to explore all aspects of visual culture and
present a range of innovative and intellectually stimulating displays. The gallery’s exhibition and education
programmes foster scholarship in a new environment placing particular emphasis on the unique role of
visual media in communicating knowledge. Central to this is the creation of discursive relationships
between academic disciplines and art practice. This is reflected in a wide range of exhibitions that span
various media and historical periods with an emphasis on international contemporary art.
Following the appointment of Nora Hickey as Director of the Mermaid Arts Centre in Bray, the Glucksman
seeks to employ a Curator of Education & Collections. As a member of the senior management team, the
Curator of Education & Collections will work closely with the Director to strategically develop the University
Art Collection and deepen public engagement with the visual arts.
Specifically, the Curator of Collections, Research & Education will:
• Devise strategies to promote the understanding and exploration of the Glucksman’s artistic
• Seek financial support for the gallery’s education programmes.
• Initiate public programmes in the visual arts for UCC staff, students and the wider
community including lectures, art classes, workshops, and exhibition-related events.
• Devise and deliver educational support and materials on gallery displays for schools, group
visits and individual visitors.
• Develop and co-ordinate the current schools programme.
• Facilitate and encourage researchers to use the resources of the gallery.
• Develop outreach programmes for specific communities that relate to exhibition themes and
the University Art Collection.
• Oversee the student and public internship programme.
• Ensure that UCC’s existing collection of art work is managed and presented to professional
standards, and work towards accreditation for the Glucksman on the Museum Standards
Programme of Ireland.
Candidates will require the following knowledge and experience
• A thorough knowledge of current art issues and trends in visual arts practice.
• Experience in co-ordinating education and outreach projects.
• The ability to write and edit lucid texts.
• A clear understanding of the principles of collections management.
• The experience and intellectual ability to create connections with and beyond the visual
arts and to promote the enjoyment and study of visual culture.
• A passion for communicating art to a wide public.
• Excellent interpersonal and organisational abilities.
• A university degree and proven experience in arts administration is desirable
Applications to consist of CV, relevant supporting material and a covering letter outlining suitability for the
position. Please provide contact details for two referees.
The salary will be €35,000 - 40,000 per annum depending on the successful candidate’s qualifications and
Applications should be submitted by 10 November 2008 to the Lewis Glucksman Gallery, University
College Cork, Ireland, marked CURATOR OF EDUCATION + COLLECTIONS.
Consult www.glucksman.org for further information on the Lewis Glucksman Gallery.
Informal enquiries by email only to Fiona Kearney, Director, Lewis Glucksman Gallery at: f.kearney -at- ucc.ie
Defined tags for this entry: collections, cork, education
, ireland, jobs