Assistant Curator, Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego
Deadline: Accepts proposals until a suitable hire is found
With two locations, the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego (MCASD) is the region’s foremost forum devoted to the exploration and presentation of the art of our time, presenting works across all media created since 1950. Located in the heart of downtown San Diego and in the coastal community of La Jolla, MCASD provides an unprecedented variety of exhibition spaces and experiences for the community, showcasing an internationally recognized collection and a dynamic schedule of exhibitions and public programs.
Reporting to the Chief Curator, the Assistant Curator supports the needs the department’s ambitious schedule by assisting supervisor with a variety of programmatic and administrative tasks related to exhibitions and activities at MCASD’s two locations (La Jolla and San Diego) and expansive 4200-object collection.
· Assist Chief Curator in efforts related to the department’s programming and the collection’s care, research, and conservation.
· Undertake original research on the collection and special exhibitions
· Organize original exhibitions of varying size and scope, depending on experience and museum needs, as determined by Chief Curator
· Conduct research on proposed acquisitions
· Contribute curatorial text and content to meet a broad range of Museum applications including educational, press and development purposes.
· Draft and initiate correspondence and coordinate information for Chief Curator as necessary
· Coordinate logistical needs for visiting artists and special guests, including arranging honoraria, travel, and lodging
· Develops and co-ordinates special events, workshops, liaises with media, and provides assistance to visitors
· Conceptualizes, defines, initiates and conducts scholarly and market research; discusses results and prepares reports
· Assist with budgeting, planning, and implementing internally generated exhibitions
· Work with Registrars and Preparators to coordinate installation and de-installation of exhibitions and artwork in office
· Performs routine office, sales and administrative tasks
· Others duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Refined oral and written communication skills with an ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees. Outstanding organizational and administrative skills with an ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects and in a fast-paced work environment. Strong technical skills and proficiency in MS Office. Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and motivate and work well with artists, colleagues, trustees, and volunteers. Ability to conduct independent scholarly research. Master’s degree in Art History and two-four years recent, relevant experience with a thorough knowledge of modern and contemporary art or any equivalent education and experience. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
For candidacy consideration, please submit resume and personalized cover letter, including salary requirement, attention Subject Heading: 201309, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further information: http://www.mcasd.org/about/job-opportunities/assistant-curator