Job: Curatorial Assistant, Contemporary Art, BRICPosted by Sofia Landström • Thursday, May 23. 2013 • Category: Jobs & Opportunities
Curatorial Assistant, Contemporary Art, BRIC
Deadline: Accepts proposals until a suitable hire is found
BRIC is a multi-disciplinary non-profit dedicated to presenting art and media programs that reflect Brooklyn’s creativity and diversity. BRIC also provides resources to launch, nurture, and showcase artists and media makers. All of BRIC’s offerings are free or low cost, to advance access to and understanding of arts and media. Each year, upwards of one million people in Brooklyn and citywide are served through BRIC’s programs. Learn more at BRICartsmedia.org.
BRIC’s contemporary art programs aim to increase the visibility and accessibility of contemporary art while bridging the gap between the art world and global culture in Brooklyn through exhibitions, public events and an innovative arts education program led in schools around the borough.
The gallery presents several exhibitions each season, primarily thematic exhibitions focusing on Brooklyn-affiliated emerging and mid-career artists. They exhibit art work of widely varying media, from paintings and photographs to site-specific installations, videos and projections, and complex multi-media projects. They work closely with staff in BRIC’s Education program in hosting class visits and mounting an annual student exhibition each spring, and with the Community Media and Performing Arts programs in administering a wide range of cross-disciplinary programming.
In October 2013, BRIC will open BRIC Arts Media House, a major new cultural venue in downtown Brooklyn. BRIC House will include a 3,000 square-foot gallery that will be the anchor contemporary art space in the downtown Brooklyn cultural district. The opening of the facility is anticipated for October 2013. This position will begin in late summer 2013.
Purpose of Position: The Curatorial Assistant reports to the Director of Contemporary Art and plays a key role in the operation of the Contemporary Art program, with a focus on curatorial duties.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Undertakes administrative tasks related to the planning and production of exhibitions including drafting loan letters and forms, maintaining databases on artists and art works, and developing and maintaining exhibition checklists.
- Acts as a prime liaison with artists throughout the exhibition process. Works closely with Director and Gallery Manager in coordinating varied aspects of the planning of each exhibition and of programs.
- Conducts research for future exhibitions in development including research on potential exhibition artists, creating PowerPoint presentations and other presentations of artists’ images and projects, and researching publications and online sources.
- Writes artist biographies and texts for exhibition catalogues and brochures; coordinates the development of catalogues and other exhibition publications with marketing staff; and prepares texts for wall panels and object labels.
- Coordinates 2 annual artist opportunity programs: the Emerging Curator Program, which provides curators with the opportunity to present an exhibition in our Project Room; and with members of BRIC’s Community Media program, the Media Arts Fellowship, which provides artists with training and facility use at BRIC’s Media Center.
- Oversees administrative work for the Contemporary Art program including ordering supplies, invoice processing, expense tracking, and maintaining the scheduling calendar
- Opportunity to participate in the curatorial process through the research and selection of work for the Video program, Project Room, and spaces around BRIC House.
- Assists with duties related to an annual fundraising Gala, including assistance with recruiting artists for live and silent auctions, and writing the auction catalogue produced for the event.
- Maintain digital and paper files related to exhibitions and programs.
- Oversees the work of curatorial interns.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Art History or Curatorial Studies.
- Minimum two-years of experience in museum or art gallery.
- A passion for contemporary art; strong knowledge of recent art history, and knowledge of the New York art scene.
- Excellent written and oral skills; strong basic copy editing skills.
- Strong skills in word processing, spreadsheet, database, basic Adobe.
- Highly accurate, detail oriented, and organized. Ability to work effectively on multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- An enthusiastic team player with good interpersonal skills. Will work closely with other Contemporary Art staff and with staff throughout the organization.
Compensation & Schedule
Salary is $33,000 + full benefits package. Some evening work required.
How to Apply
Email [email protected] with subject line: Curatorial Assistant. Please write a brief cover letter in the body of the email and attach resume. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Further information: http://bricartsmedia.org/about/jobs-and-internships#curatorial-assistant
Defined tags for this entry: assistant, brooklyn, contemporary art, curator