Job: Director of Exhibitions & Publications, Mercer Union, Toronto, CanadaPosted by Sophia Zhou • Thursday, January 24. 2013 • Category: Jobs & Opportunities
The application date for this opportunity has passed.
Deadline: February 25, 2013
Mercer Union, A Centre for Contemporary Art, is an artist-run organization dedicated to the existence of contemporary art. We provide a forum for the production and exhibition of Canadian and international conceptually- and aesthetically-engaged art and related cultural practices. We pursue these primary concerns through critical activities that include exhibitions, lectures, screenings, performances, publications, events and special projects. Mercer Union is a charitable not-for-profit serving audiences from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
As the Director of Exhibitions & Publications, the successful candidate will utilize their experience and initiative to collaborate with the Director of Operations & Development—with the support of Mercer’s Board of Directors—to guide the organization’s exhibition and programming vision. This will involve the implementation and coordination of the exhibition programme and related projects, overseeing the production of publications, and assisting with fundraising initiatives, grant writing, and new marketing initiatives.
This position is a one-year contract, with an option to renew, and carries an expected start date in April 2013.
The successful candidate will possess:
• An MA, MFA or equivalent experience in art history, visual culture, curatorial studies, or fine arts
• A minimum of 3 years of experience in a non-profit art gallery or equivalent
• A solid knowledge of Canadian and international contemporary art
• Experience managing budgets and grant writing
• Supervisory experience
• Strong verbal and written communications skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Macintosh computer skills, including Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop), Filemaker Pro, Microsoft Office (Excel, Word)
• Fluency in both official languages, written and verbal considered an asset
Primary responsibilities include:
• Managing the coordination of exhibitions, including coordination of submission review process, generating curatorial proposals, negotiating and managing all contracts, budgets, and preparing exhibition receptions
• Communicating with exhibiting artists in the development of exhibitions, including coordinating shipping, travel, insurance and equipment needs, and overseeing exhibition installation
• Coordinating all publicity including writing press releases, preparing press packages, liaising with the media, managing press and mailing databases and actively raising the profile of the Gallery locally and internationally
• Coordinating all marketing, negotiating all advertising contracts, and designing advertisements
• Managing publication coordination including brochures, distribution, catalogue exchange, documentation, the gallery website and archive
• Overseeing maintenance of the gallery space and equipment
• Organizing Ontario Arts Council Exhibition Assistance grant reviews
• Participating in developing and setting financial, operational and outreach priorities in collaboration with the Director of Operations & Development and the Board
• Participating in creating and monitoring strategic and development plans, in collaboration with the Director of Operations & Development and the Board
• Working with the Director of Operations & Development on all operational, employment, foundation, and sponsorship grant applications, and preparing programming project-related grant applications and sponsorship packages
• Managing support staff and volunteers with the Director of Operations & Development
• Attending Board meetings and Committee meetings as required, preparing programming reports for the Board
• Acting as a spokesperson for the organization to government, funding agencies, the media, and the public
Starting salary: $40,000 plus benefits and travel allotment
Interested candidates are requested to submit a resume, cover letter, and three writing samples by 5PM on Monday, February 25, 2013, via email jobs-at-mercerunion.org to the attention of the Search Committee.