Job: Curatorial Assistant, Painting and Sculpture, Museum of Modern Art, New YorkPosted by Sophia Zhou • Monday, November 12. 2012 • Category: Jobs & Opportunities
The application date for this opportunity has passed.
The Museum of Modern Art is currently accepting applications for a Curatorial Assistant with excellent academic credentials, prior museum and/or gallery experience, and expertise in post-1960s art to work in the Department of Painting and Sculpture. The incumbent will assist the Department’s senior curatorial staff in all areas of their responsibilities including administrative work in the context of curatorial functions such as acquisitions, collections records, bibliographic and biographical records and files, research for exhibitions and publications, departmental committees, loans, and general curatorial inquiries. Additional responsibilities include:
- Performs work in relation to care of the collection and arranges for custodial, registration, and preparation work as required by the curatorial staff in the maintenance of the collection in gallery, study and storage areas.
- Conducts daily collection gallery inspections and assists with follow-up arrangements in the event of damage, deterioration, etc.
- Performs the duties of exhibitions assistant including research on artists, periods, styles, etc., on specific works, on locations of works, etc.
- Assists in arranging loans, in catalogue preparation, in the preparation of checklists from compilation to data entry, in coordinating and scheduling work to be done within the Museum and without in such areas as conservation, public information, matting and framing, construction, etc.
- Assists with the preparation and installation of wall labels.
- Answers inquiries and conducts some gallery tours as necessary for visitors, etc.
- Researches and catalogues the Museum Collection and Archives under senior staff supervision and answers related inquiries from the public and scholars.
- Assists in the operation of departmental study center.
Qualified candidates will possess a Master’s degree in Art History, ABD candidates preferred, and relevant museum or gallery experience. Conversant in modern and contemporary art, particularly art after 1960. Excellent writing, research, and organizational skills. Highly motivated. Strict attention to detail, rigorous approach to tasks. Excellent computer skills. High level of enthusiasm to work with a curatorial team. Ability to manage more than one project at a time and to consistently meet deadlines. Fluency (speaking, reading, writing) in one or more European languages; German fluency in particular is highly desired.
Please submit resume and cover letter, which must include salary requirements directly to jobs-at-moma.org. Please reference the position title in the subject line.