Opportunity: Residency for a foreign curator, La Galerie, Contemporary Art Centre, ParisPosted by Sophia Zhou • Tuesday, October 23. 2012 • Category: Jobs & Opportunities
The application date for this opportunity has passed.
Deadline: November 19, 2012
Description of the Residency Programme
La Galerie, a non profit Contemporary Art Centre located in the suburbs of Paris, hosts each year a foreign curator in residence for a period of three months. First organised in 2006, the aim of the residency is to put on an exhibition at La Galerie within the context of a public art centre, and to meet artists and professionals working in the contemporary art field in France.
Residency dates: 3 April – 3 July 2013
Exhibition dates: 25 May – 13 July
Deadline: application is to be emailed at the latest November 19th 2012 included.
Free accommodation is provided (including costs of electricity, gas, internet, phone and public transport) in a 65 m2 flat in the centre of Noisy-le-Sec (10 minutes by train from Paris + 15 minutes walk). The flat includes a bedroom, a living room/kitchen and a workspace. In addition there is a cellar connected to the flat, which can be used for events (projection, lecture, etc.).
A total budget of €22,000 is provided by the art centre to cover all expenses of the exhibition including artists’ and curator's travel costs, the curator's fee (€3000), transport of art works, insurance costs, production costs, publicity (invitations, flyers, poster, etc), the publication of a 16 page bilingual French/English leaflet and of a 12 page leaflet for children (graphic design and printing included).
If needed, a short visit (2 days) can be organised before the residency period in order to see the space, meet the team and do some studio visits with artists.
Each candidate must submit an exhibition proposal which he/she would be able to implement with the help of La Galerie’s team. The exhibition can be a group show (5 artists maximum), a duo or solo show.
In addition, the application would be required to:
- Take into consideration the general artistic programme of La Galerie
- Have an interest in the French art scene.
To facilitate communication with the team and the public of La Galerie, the curator should speak French or English. During the residency, the curator would be required to engage as much as possible with the context of the art centre and participate actively in public talks and events organised by La Galerie. The curator would be required also to write an introductory text and accompanying texts on the works for the press release and the exhibition leaflet.
Applications have to be e-mailed to the email lagaleriecac-at-gmail.com to the attention of Nathanaëlle Puaud, Residency Coordinator. Applications should contain only 2 attached files in PDF format (maximum total size: 4 MB)
1) The curator’s CV/résumé (PDF file) with his/her name, date of birth, address, phone and email contacts, list of curated exhibitions, pieces of writing, etc.
2) An exhibition proposal (PDF file) including:
- a text (maximum 2 pages) explaining the idea behind the exhibition
- a list of considered artists (even if they’re obviously not confirmed at this stage)
- a short text about each considered artist specifying how his/her work relates in the exhibition (5 lines maximum)
- one picture (reproduction of an art work or exhibition view) for each artist. In the case of a duo or a solo exhibition, please provide pictures of various works.
- ideas about public events and workshops to be organised during the exhibition.
Applications sent by postal mail will not be accepted.
For additional information please visit: http://www.noisylesec.net/index.php?id_article=6182&id_rub=galerie
La Galerie, Contemporary Art Centre
Nathanaëlle Puaud, Residency coordinator
1 rue Jean-Jaurès
F- 93130 Noisy-le-Sec
tel: +33 1 49 42 67 17