Job: Curatorial Assistant, Photography, the Museum of Modern Art, New YorkPosted by Sophia Zhou • Monday, August 27. 2012 • Category: Jobs & Opportunities
The Museum of Modern Art is currently accepting applications for a Curatorial Assistant in the Photography Department to assist the senior curatorial staff in all areas of their responsibilities including administrative work in the context of curatorial functions including acquisitions, collections records, bibliographic and biographical records and files, research for exhibitions and publications, departmental committees, loans, and general curatorial inquiries. Specific additional responsibilities are as follows:
• Performs work in relation to care of the collection and arranges for custodial, registration, and preparation work as required by the curatorial staff in the maintenance of the collection in gallery, study and storage areas.
• Conducts daily collection gallery inspections and assists with follow-up arrangements in the event of damage, deterioration, etc.
• Performs the duties of exhibitions assistant including research on artists, periods, styles, etc., on specific works, on locations of works, on photograph sources, etc. Assists in arranging loans, in catalogue preparation, in the preparation of checklists from compilation to data entry, in coordinating and scheduling work to be done within the Museum and without in such areas as conservation, photography, public information, matting and framing, construction, lighting, etc.
• Assists with the preparation and installation of wall labels. Conducts daily inspection of the works on view in temporary exhibitions and assists with necessary follow-up arrangements, answers inquiries and conducts some gallery tours as necessary for visitors, etc.
• Researches and catalogues the Museum Collection and Archives under senior staff supervision and answers related inquiries from the public and scholars.
• Assists in the administration of artists' viewing program. Assists in the operation of departmental study centers.
Qualified candidates will possess a Master’s degree in Art History, ABD candidates preferred, with a focus on postwar/contemporary art and some relevant museum experience or equivalent. Conversant in modern and contemporary art and the history of photography helpful. Excellent writing, research, and organizational skills. Highly motivated. Strict attention to detail, rigorous approach to tasks. Excellent computer skills. High level of enthusiasm to work with a curatorial team. Ability to manage more than one project at a time and to consistently meet deadlines. Fluency (speaking, reading, writing) in one or more European languages, particularly Spanish or Portuguese and German highly desired.
Please submit resume and cover letter, which must include salary requirements to jobs-at-moma.org. Please reference the position title in the subject line.
The Museum of Modern Art is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation.