Job: Assistant Curator, Southbank CentrePosted by Sophia Zhou • Sunday, July 22. 2012 • Category: Jobs & Opportunities
The application date for this opportunity has passed.
Southbank Centre is the UK’s largest arts centre, occupying a 21-acre site that sits in the midst of London’s most vibrant cultural quarter on the South Bank of the Thames. The site has an extraordinary creative and architectural history stretching back to the 1951 Festival of Britain.
The hub of visual arts activity at Southbank Centre, the Hayward Gallery plays a vital role in the UK and internationally by presenting a wide range of ground-breaking art exhibitions, project exhibitions and outdoor installations. Boasting one of the largest and most versatile exhibition spaces in the UK, the Hayward Gallery aims to place artists at the heart of its every activity and to offer visitors adventurous encounters that defy expectations.
Already experienced in exhibition organisation and working with artists, you will be an efficient administrator with excellent interpersonal skills. A proactive individual who works effectively under pressure, you will also be proficient in MS Office packages.
This is a 4-day per week position. To apply, visit http://ticketing.southbankcentre.co.uk/assistant-curator.
Deadline: 9am July 30th, 2012
- Assist the Hayward exhibitions teams in the planning and development of Hayward exhibitions and other projects
- Manage smaller-scale projects directly for the Director, General Manager, Chief Curator and other members of the curatorial team
- Provide administrative support to the Director, General Manager, Chief Curator and other members of the curatorial team
Organising temporary exhibitions at the Hayward Gallery
- Contribute to the development and management of exhibition projects reporting to a member of the exhibitions team
- Write loan correspondence and monitor loan requests.
- Organise the commissioning or production of works for Hayward exhibitions.
- Contribute to the commissioning and management of external contractors including artists, architects, curators, designers, fabricators etc. for large-scale exhibitions
- Develop and refine installation layouts.
- Arrange appointments and meetings for allocated projects, make travel, subsistence and accommodation arrangements for selectors, artists, couriers and relevant staff.
- Receive artists, curators and others, on and off site.
- Organise the production of graphics.
- Organise the hire/purchase and maintenance of equipment required for exhibitions.
- Provide the Registrar with collection and return lists and indemnity/insurance values.
- Act as courier and ensure the safety of works of art if required.
- Prepare condition report forms and undertake condition checks.
- Produce reports, presentations and proposals (including fundraising applications and reports).
- Assist in the installation and de-installation of exhibitions.
- Liaise with and provide exhibition information and materials to other sections within the Department, other staff within Southbank Centre, and externally as necessary.
- Obtain press catalogue photographs and/or arrange photography.
- Collate catalogue material, including liaison with authors, lenders, designers, photographers, etc., in liaison with exhibitions team and the Art Publisher.
- Provide support in the preparation and realisation of exhibition/project related events (eg private views, talks and events).
- Give gallery talks and exhibition tours.
- Handle and refer exhibition-related enquiries.
- Organise the maintenance of exhibitions during their public opening.
Undertake smaller-scale projects
- Manage smaller-scale projects in the Hayward project space and across the Southbank Centre site reporting to the Director, General Manager, Chief Curator or other members of the exhibitions team
- Manage outdoor or special projects, reporting to the curatorial team.
Research for Programme
- Undertake research for large-scale exhibitions
- Propose artists and projects for smaller exhibition and project strands, and contribute ideas to the
overall development of the programme.
- Contribute to interpretative materials and publications for exhibition and projects when appropriate.
- Maintain project related files and record systems (e.g. lenders, index, photographic records of exhibition items, attendance figures, press cuts, etc.) and prepare material for transfer to archives
- Organise, co-ordinate and attend meetings, including preparation of agendas, circulation of papers, room bookings, catering arrangements, minuting and monitoring action points.
- Process invoices, monitor the budget and contribute to the preparation of budget estimates.
- Provide general support to the exhibitions team.
Defined tags for this entry: assistant curator, london, southbank centre