Opportunity - Curatorial Internship, Vera List Center for Art and PoliticsPosted by April Steele • Tuesday, April 19. 2011 • Category: Jobs & Opportunities
Summer Curatorial Internship
Vera List Center for Art and Politics
(New York City NY)
The Vera List Center for Art and Politics at The New School is currently accepting applications for its 2011 summer curatorial internship.
Working closely with the director, the intern will be involved in the organization of public programs that address the intersection of art and politics, and will gain a comprehensive understanding of the center’s distinct position as a member of New York City’s cultural community. He or she will also have the opportunity to consider diverse contemporary art practices within the educational context of The New School.
The intern is expected to support the programs through curatorial input as well as administrative work. During the summer of 2011, the Vera List Center (VLC) will develop a number of distinct initiatives:
1. Public programs—panel discussions, lectures and workshops—will be planned around the center’s new curatorial theme Thingness, to be presented at The New School in Fall 2011 and Spring 2012.
2. The center is developing its next book based on the subject of Speculation, co-edited by artist Walid Raad and anthropologist Vyjayanthi Rao, designed by Project Projects.
3. The center will work closely with its newly elected fellows to advance their fellowship projects.
4. In preparation of its 20th anniversary in 2012, the center is investigating its history as it relates to larger cultural trends, transforming the center’s archive into a public resource. This may result in a print publication, artist project, Web platform, and public programs.
5. For its anniversary, the center is revamping its Switchboard Web site. The site will continue to document VLC programs but will more fully incorporate online projects, offsite debates and live events presented at The New School and elsewhere. It will also serve as the home of the VLC archive.
Undergraduate or graduate student invested in contemporary art practices
Strong office, administrative and communication skills
Excellent writing and organizational skills
Curatorial and editorial experience a plus
* Ability to work independently
The internship involves a commitment of three days per week for a minimum of nine weeks.
To apply, please submit letter of interest and resume as soon as possible to Vera List Center director Carin Kuoni at
kuonic (at) newschool.edu.
Founded in 1992 and named in honor of the late philanthropist Vera List, the Vera List Center for Art and Politics at The New School is a catalyst for the discourse on the role of the arts in society and their relationship to the socio-political climate in which they are created. It organizes and presents public programs, workshops, roundtables, and exhibitions, and publishes occasional books that respond to some of the pressing social and political issues of our time. The center offers fellowships to emerging and accomplished cultural practitioners and artists, and supports their research as it infuses the center’s own programs. The center furthers The New School’s educational mission by bringing together scholars and students, the people of New York, and national and international audiences in an exploration of new possibilities for civic engagement.
Every few semesters, the center dedicates its programming to one overarching curatorial theme, allowing for a continuous, in-depth, and interdisciplinary investigation of the subject. In recent years themes have included “Homeland,” “Considering Forgiveness,” “The Public Domain,” “Agency,” “Branding Democracy,” and “Speculating on Change.” Starting in Fall 2011, the VLC will focus on “Thingness,” examining new notions of materiality.
For further information, please visit www.veralistcenter.org
Defined tags for this entry: internship, new york