Job: Director of Exhibitions, Gladstone HotelPosted by Michelle Kasprzak • Tuesday, February 23. 2010 • Category: Jobs & Opportunities
Director of Exhibitions - Gladstone Hotel
Salary range: based on credentials and experience
Only interview candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
The Director of Exhibitions is accountable to maintain the artistic fabric of the Gladstone as set out in the vision of the property ensuring a connection to the art community locally and internationally; while proactively building the business of exhibitions and curatorial space; positioning Gladstone as the pre-eminent Art Hotel worldwide.
Reporting directly to the General Manager:
- Provide leadership and guidance to the property team providing a clear understanding of the Gladstone art culture
- Responsible to sell overall property with a specific focus on:
- Studio Space
- All Gallery Space
- Photo and Film Shoots
- Develops and deliver on annual business plan for exhibition and curatorial services
- Development and implementation of all sales strategies for exhibition and curatorial services and other revenue streams within the property.
- Drive and monitor sales initiatives including personal sales calls, site tours, meetings, training and monitoring of such sales.
- Exhaust all avenues to sell space, attract new clients and position hotel within local, Canadian and international markets
- Produces Gladstone sponsored events.
- Accountable for marketing the Gladstone exhibition and curatorial space
- Develop Client Relationships and partnerships with sense of liveliness, authenticity and passion for our arts business and the people we serve.
- Attend networking events to promote venue
- Attend and participate in related associations, committees and juries.
- Constant evaluation of competition
- Connect exhibitions to other sales opportunities with the Hotel, explicitly food & beverage sales and hotel room sales.
- Act as press liaison, ensuring “messaging” and “branding” of Hotel as it relates to our exhibitions mandate. Ensure all press receives appropriate materials in promotion of hotel. Ensure updated photos and press kits are available. Helps to promote the exhibitions of clients of the Hotel through appropriate messaging and listings.
- Promote and Encourage inter-departmental co-operation and communication to improve customer service, over-all guest satisfaction and proper promotion of Hotel’s mandate and services through:
- Directs design, lighting, production, space planning and audio visual needs of all exhibitions within Hotel.
- Regular Analysis and Reporting on events: building on successes and correcting shortfalls
- Expectation of Time allocation:
+ 50% Prospecting/Closing Business
+ 20% Curatorial
+ 10% Production Management/Scheduling
+ 10% Marketing
+ 10% Strategy & Developing Partnerships
Job Requirements: Qualified candidates will have the following experiences (Knowledge, Skills and Ability)
- Operate with high integrity in delivering exceptional service to our guests.
- Demonstrates a Passion for the Sales as well as a passion for Arts Programming Successful experience in proactive sales and the ability to effectively close.
- Possesses analytical ability to quantify success of exhibition based on sales generated, cultural-social value or “buzz” factor.
- Creative thinker with ability to come to decision quickly
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Keeps current with competitive environment.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Outstanding customer service skills as well as strong oral and written skills.
- Ability to network and build relationships.
- Have strong organizational skills and drive towards achievement of goals /objectives.
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly and concisely.
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data.
- Ability to work extended hours to meet requirements on business volumes.
- Experience in Delphi an asset.
- Proficient in Windows O/S and Microsoft office applications.
- Education and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years working in the arts community in similar role
- Minimum 2 years experience in sales
- Bilingualism an asset.
- Salary Range: based on credentials and experience