Job: Curator, Canadian Clay & Glass GalleryPosted by Michelle Kasprzak • Sunday, August 16. 2009 • Category: Jobs & Opportunities
The application date for this opportunity has passed.
Job Title: Curator, Contemporaryâ¨
Institution / Organization: Canadian Clay & Glass Galleryâ¨
Closing Date: August 28, 2009â¨
The Canadian Clay & Glass Gallery is looking for a Curator who will invest in the mission and mandate of the Gallery and support the Gallery with artistic vision and leadership. The Curator will possess a deep, engaged knowledge of and curiosity about the critical issues related to contemporary art and craft. The Curator will also serve as a strong advocate for the Gallery in local, national and international communities.
CCGGâs curator will implement and bring to full fruition existing planned programming for a period of three years. Concurrent with this activity the curator will conceptualize, design and implement future exhibition programs that build upon the Galleryâs successful history.
The Curator will:
- Plan, design and install exhibitions of contemporary art and co-ordinate related programmes; research and co-ordinate production of related print and promotional materials.
- Provide strong artistic leadership to assist the Director in establishing policy and priority related to long-range goals and the solicitation of outside funding from government, foundation, and private sources.
- Maintain the Galleryâs permanent collection and oversee the strategic growth of the collection with a focus on acquiring works of national significance
- Possess strong writing skills and be responsible for catalogues essays and grants.
- Possess strong verbal communication skills for the delivery of exhibition orientation lectures to education support staff, other staff members and volunteers.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Director of Education to: supervise and administer the Contemporary Gallery Context and Docent programmes.
- Participate in and/or organize symposia related to contemporary art and fine craft and serve as a positive presence in the Canadian art scene.
- Build strong liaisons and partnerships with other regional, national and international galleries.
- Develop programming with senior, mid-career and emerging artists.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Masters or Ph.D. in art history (contemporary art/fine craft preferred), studio art or related discipline â¨
- Evidence of significant curatorial achievement (research, publication, exhibitions, and collections management)â¨with minimum of seven years of professional experience
- Knowledge of museum standards and collections management practices
- Excellent skills in project management, written and oral presentations, staff and volunteer supervision
- Demonstrated success in grant writing
Mission: The Canadian Clay & Glass Gallery fosters interaction among artworks, artists and community. Our exhibitions challenge ideas and perceptions of the definitions of art, craft and design today, as well as concepts of ethnicity and contemporary culture providing meaningful and enriching cultural experiences for a diverse audience and opportunities for the development of philanthropy.
This full time position and offers a benefits package.
Applications must include: CV, curatorial philosophy and salary expectations
Canadian Clay & Glass Gallery
25 Caroline Street North
Or email to: info -at- canadianclayandglass.ca
Review of applications will begin August 28, 2009.
The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.