Job: Director/Curator, Media Arts - Western Front SocietyPosted by Michelle Kasprzak • Sunday, April 5. 2009 • Category: Jobs & Opportunities
The application date for this opportunity has passed.
Director/Curator, Media Arts - Western Front Society
Position Type: Full-time contract, 35 hours/week
Date of Posting: March 30, 2009
Application Deadline: May 1, 2009
Years Experience: 2+
The Western Front Society seeks an outstanding, highly motivated arts professional to step into the role of Director/Curator, Media Arts.
The Western Front is one of Canadaâs pioneering artist-run centres and produces and presents works in five programs: Exhibitions, Performance Art, New Music, FRONT Magazine And Media Arts. The Western Front was founded in 1973 by a small group of interdisciplinary artists, and has developed into an exemplary multi-disciplinary environment for experimental art practice and research. With a staff of ten plus interns and volunteers, the Society collectively produces over fifty events a year.
The Media Arts Program has a mandate to support research, production, experimentation and critical discourse by Canadian artists and arts professionals in media arts practices. The backbone of Western Front Media Arts is the Artist-in-Residence Program which promotes experimentation and innovation in media arts. In keeping with the Western Front's historical emphasis on creative exchange and the interdisciplinary, this program supports unique explorations of new creative areas including, but not limited to: video production, sound art, robotics, net.art, site-specific gestures, experimental projects, process-based pieces and unique initiatives in media art practice today.
The Media Arts Director/Curator reports to the Board of Directors, and is an active participant in the Western Front Management Team, assuming the leadership and responsibility for:
- Ensuring the effective development, operation and sustainability of the Media Arts Program
- Overseeing the implementation of programs, policies and operations on a day-to-day basis
- Curating artist production residencies
- Editing publications
- Developing the vision, policies and plans for the production studios and equipment
- Sharing responsibility with the Management Team for carrying out the policies and regulations of the Western Front, and guiding staff and/or volunteers involved with the core operations or with other Western Front programs
As the ideal candidate, you possess:
- Exemplary knowledge and understanding of contemporary and historical practices in media arts
- A clear understanding of the philosophy and history of the Canadian artist-run centre movement
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Proven financial management experience
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines in a bustling interdisciplinary environment
- Knowledge of technologies and systems used in a range of media arts practices
- Ability to effectively delegate and supervise staff, volunteers, interns and external contractors
- Familiarity with planning and administrative practices in the arts
- Forward-thinking project management and organizational skills
- Appreciation for consensus-driven, collaborative management processes
- Knowledge of a broad range of issues related to the arts
- Knowledge of the principle funding agencies and prior grant writing experience
- Knowledge of managing publications and print projects
- Mac OS, Microsoft Office, electronic mail and Filemaker Pro
A competitive benefits package is available after the three months probation period is complete. After eight months of employment, four weeks paid vacation may be taken during the period when programs are recessed. An additional ten days paid holiday time may be taken during the December/January holiday period.
The Western Front Society is committed to the principles of Employment Equity and encourages applications from Aboriginal persons, members of a visible minority group or persons with a disability.
Applications containing a cover letter, curriculum vitae, three references, and writing samples, must be received by 4:00 p.m. on May 1, 2009.
Please send applications by post only to:
Media Arts Director/Curator Hiring Committee
Western Front Society
303 East 8th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5T 1S1
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.